[colug-432] Debugging systemd (was: CentOS 7: "Install updates and restart" is hung)

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 20:54:31 EST 2015

Here is some important information for anyone who runs into a "this systemd
distro hangs up on boot" problem:

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/

So when I was futzing around with DNS things over the weekend, I
inadvertently enabled rhel-domainname.service on my laptop.  This service
will apparently hang if it can't find a NIS server.  And when it hangs, it
hangs for a while.  In fact, there's a CentOS bug about this very problem:

https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=8000

When my laptop finally booted up, I disabled rhel-domainname.service.  Now
it boots up lightning quick.