[colug-432] Top or Bottom Post

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sat Feb 28 13:34:45 EST 2015

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting

The world has changed a bit from when we all used Usenet over dial-up links with ridiculously small local storage options.

Mobile devices, conversation grouping / threading, and an obscene amount of storage makes it easy to stop caring about top posting and so-called "proper" quoting.

For many people, "proper" quoting is whatever their email client defaults to. Why should the average user second guess GMail or Outlook or Thunderbird or whatever their phone does by default?

Upbraiding people because they don't follow our old-school UNIX club rules doesn't help anyone accomplish anything.

Cheerfully top-posted from my phone,
Scott