[colug-432] ISP Recommendation

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Fri Jan 16 13:59:18 EST 2015

When we as members of a group of what I most likely correctly assume
to be highly literate, very intelligent people have trouble with
"customer service" over technical issues I pause with horror to think
about the struggle that the non-technical or the semi-literate face
when dealing with the same issues.

If you think we are angry when we often _know_ what the problem is and
have to convince the script reader on the other side to listen to us,
those without the power of knowledge or the literacy of tech.. they
perhaps just end up hurt and taken advantage of and feeling stupid.

At least we know they have a script, we know at least in theory how to
escalate, we understand structurally what these companies have done to
ignore the customers needs.  The semi-literate non technical masses,
they just end up losing time and money and money is something that
they also most likely have little of.

It is a personal issue, and a societal issue.