[colug-432] ISP Recommendation

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:54:14 EST 2015

> On Jan 16, 2015, at 09:36, Stephen P. Molnar <s.molnar at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> A tale of wor!
>
> I have been with AT&T as an ISP since 2003, 10 years with DSL and 3 years with Uverse.  Each year has required a new router.

> I lost service early Wednesday evening and immediatly called what they non-laughingly call "Tech Service".

ugh.

I've mentioned Wide open west on this list before, but we had a great experience with WOW in Columbus some years ago.  They were always quick to help on the rare occasion something went wrong, and were technically competent.  When we described a problem in technical terms, they didn't treat us to the whole "here's how to first clear your internet explorer cache" nonsense.  They sent a tech a couple of times when needed without any argument and quickly.

It was about 10 years ago (moved to another house which had no WoW service), so YMMV today.

After sorting out some initial issues with a "stolen pair", ATT dry-loop DSL was reliable and a crapton more consistent than TW* residential service ever was.  They were the worst, and support almost entirely useless.  Then again, my experience in another state with ATT DSL was that when it rained the interwebs quit working. They wouldn't troubleshoot or fix it because it would never be raining when the tech finally came out.

* I know there's at least one TW biz class employee on this list who in the past has been helpful in troubleshooting issues and providing good advice.  I had a co-worker up in Delaware who was happy w/ TW biz class service at his house. He may have had an SLA, I don't recall.  However, the residential class experience has always been awful and I'd only recommend it as a last resort.

Then again, you could always try this [awesome] lady's approach to get ATT's attention -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/17/AR2007101702359.html

-rj