[colug-432] ISP Recommendation

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Tue Jan 20 17:01:25 EST 2015

On 1/16/2015 1:48 PM, Rob Stampfli wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:36:07AM -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
>> I have decided to look for another ISP.  I don't want telephone service, nor
>> cable TV - just iinternet connectivity!
>>
>> I would appreciate recommendations!
> I can recommend WOW.  Had TW for years when they were the only game in
> town (Pickerington), and pricey.

My personal experience has been that both TWC and WOW are wholly
dependent on where you.  I had TWC (Insight) for 15+ years and rarely
had a problem with them.  I recently switched to WOW because they
offered 50M while TWC was still only 20M in my area.  While I was with
TWC, I essentially had a static IP (I went for better than a year at a
time with the same IP on a regular basis) and have run my own web and
mail server the entire time.  With WOW, my IP changes more often (I've
been with them 4 months and it's changed twice so far), but I'm still
able to run evreything without problems.  When I first got hooked up, it
took about 4 hours of working with their tech support to get them to
understand what I was doing and to get the router set in bridge mode and
have the firewall turned off, but after that, it was fine.

My in-laws have gone back and forth with both TWC and WOW every year or
so when their service had problems and couldn't be easily resolved
(although, mostly it was TV-cable issues and not internet service
issues).  Recently, with WOW, they had their phone number changed under
them without any notice.  A number they've had for 7 years.  When they
called to ask about it, they were told it was "an AT&T number and AT&T
requested it back".

-spp