[colug-432] ISP Recommendation

Rob Stampfli rob944 at cboh.org
Fri Jan 16 13:48:50 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:36:07AM -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I have decided to look for another ISP.  I don't want telephone service, nor
> cable TV - just iinternet connectivity!
>
> I would appreciate recommendations!

I can recommend WOW.  Had TW for years when they were the only game in
town (Pickerington), and pricey.  Three years ago, WOW pulled cables
through my neighborhood and shortly thereafter TW (Insight back then)
introduced some sort of glitch where my router could no longer hang
onto an IP.  It would change about once a day and always when I was
right in the middle of something, leaving me high and dry.  After
hassling with TW for a week, I gave up and flipped over to WOW.  So
far, WOW has been great.  TW was quoting a week to get someone out
to the house to investigate the problem -- one that clearly wasn't an
issue with my local plant but which they never-the-less insisted on
following their protocol on.  The one time I had a problem with WOW,
they had a tech out the same afternoon.  WOW's only downside so far
is that they have small backup batteries on their local electronics,
and thus my internet access fails shortly after the neighborhood power
does and doesn't come back until power is restored.  I think WOW has
a special for new customers now that provides 15Mbps internet for
$20/mo, or 30Mbps for $30/mo.  I'm a satisfied customer.

Good luck,
Rob