[colug-432] new ubuntu user question

Steve Roggenkamp steveroggenkamp at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 21:37:08 EST 2015

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the group.

Ubuntu 12.10 is beyond its end of life as it's over two years old and I
think Ubuntu normally only supports its normal (non-Long Term Support)
versions for only 18 months.  12.10 refers to the version Ubuntu
released in October of 2012.  Every two years in April Ubuntu releases a
version called it Long Term Support version that it supports for five
years and is the version I normally run. Specifically, I'm writing this
using a laptop running Ubuntu 14.04(LTS).  It provides a stable
environment for at least two years.

This is all nice background, but it doesn't solve your problem of
updating to a current version.

The biggest question to answer, before you upgrade, is whether you have
files on your present system that you want to take with you after the
upgrade.  If so, buy a flash drive (or two) and make a copy of the files
you want to preserve.  If things go bump in the night, you'll have a
backup copy.

I don't know if you found it, but here's the Ubuntu Wiki page regarding
upgrades:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

It provides descriptions of how to upgrade various versions of Ubuntu.

It sounds like you have two options.  You can either perform a series of
upgrades:

12.10 -> 13.04
13.04 -> 13.10
13.10 -> 14.04
14.04 -> 14.10

Or you could "renew" your installation with a later one (14.04 LTS or
14.10) and do not format the disk during the installation.  In this case
it will overwrite your old version of Ubuntu with the new one,
(hopefully) leaving your personal files intact.  You may have to
reconfigure the networking and/or printers depending on how things are
currently set up.  Hopefully, you will not and Things Will Just Work.

The easiest way to make a backup is with a command terminal and a
program called tar.  Ubuntu changed the way it mounts flashdrives
sometime between 12.04 and 14.04, so I'll mention both.  After you mount
a flashdrive in 12.04 it will appear in the file system as
/media/FDVOLUME, or whatever name the flashdrive volume is set to, while
it will appear as /media/skr/FDVOLUME in 14.04.  Let's assume your user
name is 'susan' you should enter the following commands to back up all
of your files in your home directory:

$ cd
$ cd ..
$ tar cvzf /media/susan/FDVOLUME/susanHome.tgz susan

The first command puts you into your home directory.  The second one
moves you up one level above your home directory, and the third command
creates the backup, assuming you have sufficient space on your
flashdrive.  The 'cvzf' says to (c)reate the archive, list all of the
files being backed up (v), compress the archive as it saves it (z), and
write it to /media/susan/FDVOLUME/susanHome.tgz.  The directory being
backed up is 'susan'.  At this point, you should see a lot of file names
flying up the screen as it saves them to the archive.  If you have a lot
of files, it will take some time to archive them.  Make yourself a cup
of coffee or tea and relax until it's done.

If you're paranoid at this point about whether it made a good backup,
you can enter the following command to list all of the files in the backup:

$ tar tvzf /media/susan/FDVOLUME/susanHome.tgz

You should see a bunch of file name names and information flying up the
screen.  This command reads the entire archive and should print an error
message if there's a problem with it.

You can now unmount the flashdrive and set it aside in case you need it.

To recover the files you would use the following command:

$ tar xvzf /media/susan/FDVOLUME/susanHome.tgz

This will extract your original susan directory into the directory
you're in.

This isn't a very sophisticated backup mechanism, but it works to store
or move a directory of data.

I hope this helps.

Steve