[colug-432] ec2 instance

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 10:20:01 EDT 2015

Is there some secret trick to logging into your ec2 Linux instance for the first time?  I've never used ec2 before, so I must be missing something obvious but I've been fighting with it since last night.

$ ssh ec2-user at 52.4.7.xxx
ssh: connect to host 52.4.7.xxx port 22: Operation timed out

That's all I've been able to get it to do.  A few answers to questions I've seen on interweb threads:

* Outbound ssh from the same [client] host ^ works just fine to anywhere else
* ssh with -vvvvv shows the same thing - the connection times out before anything else (auth etc) happens
* The "security group" rules are:
     Security Groups associated with i-e701bxxx
      Ports	Protocol	Source	ssh anywhere (<- my label)
     22	tcp	0.0.0.0/0	✔
     -1	icmp	0.0.0.0/0	✔
* The instance has a public IP address (or it at least appears to)
* I have the same issue when using the Amazon java ssh client, so it doesn't seem to be client specific
* I don't think this this an authentication problem (ssh keys, etc) because I'm not even getting that far
* ssh from different sources/hosts/networks is the same result, so the problem looks like the instance.

The VPC ID and Subnet ID are just a random string, have no idea what they're supposed to be.  I've tried leaving them at their defaults, I've tried new instances and changing the values - same results.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

My alternative is to pay DH $15/month for a virtual private server.  I like DH and rave about them, but don't want to pay $15/month for the same size thing I can get at EC2 for free.

thanks!