[colug-432] ec2 instance

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Jul 3 12:52:24 EDT 2015

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015, Rick Hornsby wrote:

> Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that.  I have the private
> key.  The ssh debug output suggests I'm not even getting to
> the stage where I would submit an authentication key.

> debug1: Connecting to 52.4.7.x [52.4.7.x] port 22.
> debug1: connect to address 52.4.7.x port 22: Operation timed out
> ssh: connect to host 52.4.7.250 port 22: Operation timed out

Assuming the instance is 'live', it looks as though you have
not yet linked the external IP on port 22 to the instance
(which uses a non-routable RFC1918 address), because you are
not getting a connection to the instance.  For resilliance
purposes, there is a layer two mapping between an internal
RFC1918 IP (which the instance thinks is its IP), and the
external routable IP (which the 'routable' world sees), which
may be moved around between instances

	http://aws.amazon.com/articles/1346

This is confusing to people coming to VM's under Xen or
OpenShift, who are accustomed to tangible hardware, which
usually omits a separate layer 2 setup

PMMan omits this step and does direct assignment and
management of routable IPs to instances, at the expense of
needing a 'wink outage' to move a VM from one backend dom0 to
another, and also complexifying routing issues for cross-DC
fail-across [The usual answer is: don't do it that way, but
rather set up intermediate VPN tunnelling]

-- Russ herrold