[colug-432] bridging OpenVPN into my LAN

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Tue Jul 28 11:11:14 EDT 2015

On 07/27/2015 10:36 AM, Jim Wildman wrote:
> Use ipv6 instead.  This is exactly the issue that lead me to start
> using ipv6 tunnels.

I get subjective and intuitive about these things. [sigh]
Sure, I'm a huge fan of IPv6 but wanted to to IPv4 in this case. WHY?
Oh yeah ... I remember ... I don't need VPN for connectivity per se.

IPv6 allows reachability w/o the OpenVPN tunnel. (There may be other
"tunnels", just not VPN specifically.)

So there are two things one gets from VPN: reachability and privacy.
We can have privacy from any of several methods, not just VPN.
We can have reachability from either VPN or IPv6.

Combine this with the desire to access legacy appliances.
(In 2010, IPv6 was already widely implemented so the TV and DVR *should*
have been capable! But I digress.)

Given Jim's success with OpenVPN and IPv6, I expect to resurrect the
IPv6 mode OpenVPN server. (Was planning to go both ways anyway.) But I'm
still looking for the magical incantation to get the IPv4 mode OpenVPN
server to play nice with my /24 IPv4 space.

-- R; <><