[colug-432] Great moments in computer science

Tim Randles tim.randles at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 00:25:47 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Before we unleash fully automated FBW cars onto our roads, is it
> possible to balance intellectual property rights - a person or company's
> investment in software - with open, audit-able, and standards-based
> conformance in these mission critical applications?

I think the more relevant question is, should a company be allowed to apply
intellectual property rights to something like a car's adaptive steering
algorithm, traction control, collision avoidance braking and steering?  I
guess the answer is "yes" in light of the fact that car companies have been
touting their cars' safety records for years.

My open source side says all safety enhancements should be openly published
and freely shared for the betterment of mankind.  My closed source side
says I should protect and market my safety advantage to the betterment of
my shareholders.  My humanist side says competitive advantages in safety
should be open source while competitive advantages in economy and
performance should be closed source.  Is there a middle ground to be agreed
upon?