[colug-432] Great moments in computer science

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Wed Jun 3 09:17:49 EDT 2015

On 06/02/2015 03:38 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> http://www.safetyresearch.net/blog/articles/toyota-unintended-acceleration-and-big-bowl-%E2%80%9Cspaghetti%E2%80%9D-code
>
> Toyota had more than 10,000 global variables.

There was a discussion on LinkedIn about the (lack of) code quality in
embedded systems. The thread was started by a guy outside of Cleveland
who owns a firmware company.

> “And in practice, five, ten, okay, fine. 10,000, no, we're done. It is
> not safe, and I don't need to see all 10,000 global variables to know
> that that is a problem,” Koopman testified.
>
> -- Russ herrold

I've seen global variable abuse in commercial code. (not just embedded)

I am shocked to have encountered "go global" thinking among professional
software developers. Kind of wonder if some aspects of object oriented
design are knee jerk reaction the other way.

-- R; <><