[colug-432] Great moments in computer science

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:38:36 EDT 2015

On 06/02/2015 10:48 PM, Jeff Frontz wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 9:07 PM, tom <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
> <mailto:thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/02/2015 05:59 PM, Jeff Frontz wrote:
>     > you keep careening toward the embankment
>     How So?
>

> When you're in a "fly-by-wire" car, the computer is between you and
> the ignition/transmission. If the task that pays attention to driver
> input drops core, there is no way to "turn off the ignition, put it in
> neutral, put it in low gear, etc."

You are assuming a completely fly by wire car. Are there any today? For
instance my car has manual transmission with a manually operated clutch.
It does have electric power steering. Don't know if or how much a
computer controls that. I don't think a self driving car is a great
idea. That's using more and more technology to solve a social problem.
Get the drunks off the road, and put drivers ed back in public schools.
The only advantage I can see a self driver having is that I could go out
drinking and say "Home James" at the end of the night.