[colug-432] Great moments in computer science

Robert Grimm robertgrimm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:53:23 EDT 2015

Humans not evolving in an environment that includes them controlling fast
moving, large metal objects is not a social problem. We're not equipped for
safe driving. Getting the drunks off the road, a nice idea that isn't
really feasible, just takes out some of the impaired drivers. The real
problem is that even unimpaired, humans are not good at the tasks required
while driving. The rest of us only see with a certain angle of view, which
not all of us can accurately use. We have response times that aren't fast
enough to respond to things that move too fast, which is exacerbated by
also moving fast. We're just not built for the task. Self driving cars are.
They have sensors that allow them to see all around, visually, with radar,
with sound, with communication to other cars. They can build a much more
complete model of their surroundings than a human can. They can process the
information faster and respond faster. Someone posted a link to an article
here recently about how much safer they're proving to be. It showed that in
so many accidents involving them, they have not yet been at fault once and
there have been no injuries.