[colug-432] Great moments in computer science

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Wed Jun 3 10:17:01 EDT 2015

On 06/03/2015 09:21 AM, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> In words of one syllable, what is basically the problem with global variables? Is it simply that they're open to be changed by anything in the system?

Sounds innocent enough.

I ALMOST included a comment something like "I also use global variables".
Like a lot of things, it's not global variables but
global-variable-abuse that's the problem.

It happens when a programmer refuses to be disciplined about scoping
and/or allocation. Rather than think about where some bit of info is
needed, they throw everything into one big pot.

Yep ... changed (or stomped on) by anything in the system (or application).

-- R; <><