[colug-432] Expiration Date

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 17:15:50 EDT 2015

On 06/16/2015 03:30 PM, Stephen Potter wrote:
> Depends on your definition of antiquated.  I've several times found that
> older hardware, even if it runs latest versions, is just too slow and
> frustrating that it isn't worth my aggravation waiting around.  And,
> once you start trying to put new stuff in it, you can just as cheaply
> purchase something newer.
>
> I tried booting a new OS on an old laptop with an AMD TL50(?) to try and
> use it with an overhead projector for a tournament to display upcoming
> matches.  It took so long just to even update the screen, it wasn't
> worth it to me to use.
>
> -spp
>
> On 6/16/2015 3:47 PM, tom wrote:
>> I may consider more RAM or a Dual Core Duo upgrade If that's compatible
>> with my chipset and BIOS ver, but not if the laptop will be antiquated
>> in the near future.
My Definition of Antiquated would be when a mainstream Linux Distro
would work or be fully functionable on a particular computer. My
Inspiron 1520 was manufactured 4/12/2008. I am not asking what
alternative distro I could get it to run on when it will be too old to
run a major distro such as Ubuntu, but how far into the future I can
expect be able to run something like Ubuntu. Mint 17 Cinnamon 17 LTS
runs quite well on it right now.

Tom

--
Sent by LinuxMint