[colug-432] puppet: leveraging another module

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 12:47:15 EDT 2015

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 21:36, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
>
>>> (The role/profile/tech pattern of Puppet modules is one attempt to provide guidance around how and when modules can reach outside of their own boundaries.  If you’re not yet familiar with this pattern, do check it out.  A “myapp” profile might be justified to handle bridging both the “myapp” tech module and the sudo module.)

Interesting -- While I haven't come across it in their official documentation (yet?), Puppetlabs is teaching the role/profile pattern -

Puppet Practitioner
In the 3-day Puppet Practitioner course, you’ll learn multiple ways to accomplish tasks in Puppet and how to choose which is most appropriate for a given situation. You will design and build modules, and extend modules from the Forge. You'll also learn best practices for implementing Roles & Profiles in your infrastructure. Note: This is an advanced level course.

This is great IMHO - it tells me that the people behind Puppet are paying attention to what's going on around them and how people are using their stuff in the real world.