[colug-432] puppet: leveraging another module

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 15:02:44 EDT 2015

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 21:36, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
>
>>> (The role/profile/tech pattern of Puppet modules is one attempt to provide guidance around how and when modules can reach outside of their own boundaries.  If you’re not yet familiar with this pattern, do check it out.  A “myapp” profile might be justified to handle bridging both the “myapp” tech module and the sudo module.)
>>
>> I'll have to look into this, thanks.
>>

> It all started here: http://www.craigdunn.org/2012/05/239/
>
> Additional useful links:
> http://sysadvent.blogspot.com/2012/12/day-13-configuration-management-as-legos.html
> http://garylarizza.com/blog/2014/02/17/puppet-workflow-part-1/
> http://garylarizza.com/blog/2014/02/17/puppet-workflow-part-2/
> http://puppetlunch.com/puppet/roles-and-profiles.html
> https://puppetlabs.com/presentations/designing-puppet-rolesprofiles-pattern

I'm barely half-way through (got side-tracked by the excellent Unix Philosophy article and listening to the Congressional hearing on the OPM hack...*grumble*), but there's some pretty great stuff in here.  Not all of it makes sense right now, but I'm definitely getting into some areas that go beyond the basics to developing a more robust puppet architecture -- exactly the sort of areas that I've been trying to sort out.

Good stuff, thanks!