[colug-432] Deeper Than Assembler

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:28:00 EDT 2015

> On Jun 29, 2015, at 14:05, Rick Troth <rmt at casita.net> wrote:
>
> On 06/29/2015 02:54 PM, Rick Hornsby wrote:
>> Just curious about why?  Are you doing embedded programming, or
>> something that requires heavy optimization?
>
> Job requirements: maintaining software that was originally written in
> assembler.

An outfit I used to work for in Columbus does embedded programming because they design lighting and control systems for emergency vehicles.  The lead programmer was doing assembly type stuff when the compiler wouldn't cooperate or whatnot.  Way over my head.

>> Assembler was definitely not my thing.
>> Probably because I suck at the maths.
>
> How about C?
> Some say C is just a glorified assembler, and I often agree. (Delightful
> to have that much control and yet be free from re-expressing the logic
> for each HW architecture.)

I've done a little C here and there the years.  Mostly my work has been in interpreted/scripting languages like PHP, Python, Perl, and lately a lot of Ruby (old dog, new tricks), etc.  I've done some C# and Java, which sort of have compilers.  I like the things I've done in C - it certainly does exactly the trick when, for example, I needed a replacement for 'nc -z' on RHEL 7.

I've been wanting to get into Objective-C (which I guess is more like C++) for a while.