[colug-432] Puppet Foreman default environment

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu May 14 11:27:40 EDT 2015

> On May 14, 2015, at 11:18 AM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 14, 2015, at 10:06, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have no experience with Foreman, so can’t provide any real help there.
>
> Curious what you're doing for an ENC?  Puppet enterprise or something else?
>
> I'm futzing with Foreman because we may end up using Satellite 6 to manage the environment, which has some puppet components like Foreman baked(?) in.

We do use Puppet Enterprise, so we have the Puppet Dashboard, but we don’t use that to apply classes to our nodes.  The pointy-clicky nature of the Dashboard makes it hard to automate, impossible to version control, and generally takes too long.

We use Hiera to apply classes to our servers:
   http://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/1/

Specifically, we rely on hiera_include:
   http://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/1/puppet.html#assigning-classes-to-nodes-with-hiera-hierainclude

Our manifests/site.pp contains this line:
   hiera_include('classes’)

We have a “classes” array in various Hiera files. For example, to apply our base profile to all servers, we have this in our hieradata/global.yaml:
---
classes:
  - profile::base

Additional classes can be applied at various other levels of our Hiera hierarchy, though mostly they’re set on a per-server level.

Cheers,
Scott