[colug-432] Puppet Foreman default environment

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Thu May 14 13:34:17 EDT 2015

> On May 14, 2015, at 10:27, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
>

>> On May 14, 2015, at 11:18 AM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On May 14, 2015, at 10:06, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have no experience with Foreman, so can’t provide any real help there.
>>
>> Curious what you're doing for an ENC?  Puppet enterprise or something else?
>>
>> I'm futzing with Foreman because we may end up using Satellite 6 to manage the environment, which has some puppet components like Foreman baked(?) in.
>>

> We do use Puppet Enterprise, so we have the Puppet Dashboard, but we don’t use that to apply classes to our nodes.  The pointy-clicky nature of the Dashboard makes it hard to automate, impossible to version control, and generally takes too long.

That helps, thanks.

I'm far from an expert in Chef, but I'm used to working with roles, cookbooks, and knife from the console and only occasionally using the Web UI.  While there is hammer (basically knife for Foreman), Foreman feels like the pointy-clicky that you describe PE being.  While I've barely gotten into Foreman I could already start to see the same difficulties you described coming up.

> We use Hiera to apply classes to our servers:
>   http://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/1/

I've come across Hiera in the docs, but this context will help me go back and dig into it more.

-rj