[colug-432] DHCP (4) disappeared and a related question

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Fri May 22 07:56:52 EDT 2015

I should also mention that caching DNS seems to have quit about the same
time as IPv4 DHCP.

On 05/21/2015 09:26 AM, Rob Funk wrote:
> Maybe start by checking /etc/config/dhcp for clues. Try manually
> starting it with "/etc/init.d/odhcpd start" or even running
> /usr/sbin/odhcpd directly.

Thanks Rob.
That does lead to a hint ... what the web interface calls "IPv6 suffix"
gets entered to this file as the "hostid". So now I have an idea why the
thing has *always* ignored the IPv6 suffix I was so dutifully entering.
[sigh]

The daemon is running and serving IPv6 leases. (Just not nailed-down per
my intended suffix.) If I clean this up, it might resume leasing IPv4.
Or maybe it's tied to the DNS service issue? Still checking.

> (I'm assuming your CeroWRT is similar to my OpenWRT.)

No doubt about that.
CeroWRT is/was solely to handle buffer bloat, so it never strayed too
far from the main trunk. And now it has been folded back in.

>> > How do I reconfigure 'opkg' to point at a working OpenWRT trunk rather than at
>> > the defunct CeroWRT base?
> Part of it would be to edit /etc/opkg.conf to point to things at
> downloads.openwrt.org.

I think I already answered some of this for myself.
When I compared known OpenWRT URLs to what is coded in /etc/opkg.conf
*and actually drilled into the layout*, I saw one that appears to work.
Actually was able to install a test package.

> But don't do that. Just install a recent OpenWRT. They don't even
> support trying to use opkg to upgrade between OpenWRT releases, let
> alone trying to upgrade from CeroWRT. Even within an OpenWRT release,
> they discourage doing full updates of every package that's been
> updated. (The update situation is the one thing that bothers me about
> OpenWRT, and it's still better there than pretty much any other home
> router firmware.)

Whahh??
[nasty rant about package manglement as a subindustry redacted in case
there are children present]

> You can probably use the sysupgrade mechanism to flash OpenWRT,
> preserving (most of?) your configuration. Check the OpenWRT wiki for
> sysupgrade information.

Saw that at some point, and will try it when I'm ready to pull the "full
upgrade" trigger.

IT PROBABLY HELPS that I have a second 3800 as a spare. Need to recover
that from the office and maybe do the sysupgrade on it.

> Looks like OpenWRT *just* put out their first release candidate since
> their last actual release back in July. https://openwrt.org/

Cool!

-- R; <><