[colug-432] DHCP (4) disappeared and a related question

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Thu May 21 09:26:27 EDT 2015

Rick Troth wrote:
> I was all proud and snobby that I flashed CeroWRT onto a new (to me) NG WNDR
> 3800.
> Well ... maybe not snobby, but was none-the-less very geeked about it.
> The thing has worked well for several months, barring weirdness which I
> attribute to my previously existing "stuff".
> Then DHCP quit. Looks like DHCPv6 is still serving out leases.
> Why?

Maybe start by checking /etc/config/dhcp for clues. Try manually
starting it with "/etc/init.d/odhcpd start" or even running
/usr/sbin/odhcpd directly.

(I'm assuming your CeroWRT is similar to my OpenWRT.)

> How do I reconfigure 'opkg' to point at a working OpenWRT trunk rather than at
> the defunct CeroWRT base?

Part of it would be to edit /etc/opkg.conf to point to things at
downloads.openwrt.org.

But don't do that. Just install a recent OpenWRT. They don't even
support trying to use opkg to upgrade between OpenWRT releases, let
alone trying to upgrade from CeroWRT. Even within an OpenWRT release,
they discourage doing full updates of every package that's been
updated. (The update situation is the one thing that bothers me about
OpenWRT, and it's still better there than pretty much any other home
router firmware.)

You can probably use the sysupgrade mechanism to flash OpenWRT,
preserving (most of?) your configuration. Check the OpenWRT wiki for
sysupgrade information.

Looks like OpenWRT *just* put out their first release candidate since
their last actual release back in July. https://openwrt.org/