[colug-432] Gigabit Hubs (Not Switches)

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Wed Nov 11 11:13:09 EST 2015

Jim Wildman wrote:
> Yes, managed switches (Cisco, etal) typically provide this capability.
> And really, if you have multiple gigabit streams...you're really past
> the hub stage (IMO)

You don't have to go all the way up to the Cisco end of things for
this. Netgear has some 8-port and 5-port switches under $100 that
include "port mirroring" to copy traffic to a designated port. I like
the $95 GS108T for general-purpose use, but there are cheaper ones,
like the $50 GS105E, that will do the monitoring job and a lot else.
  https://wiki.wireshark.org/SwitchReference/NetGear

(Staples is a good place to get these, as well as a good place to get
those Brother printers we were talking about.)

Other not-outrageously-expensive switches have this capability as
well, but I'm not familiar with those.