[colug-432] DHCP/bootp broadcast question

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Wed Nov 11 22:38:46 EST 2015

On 11/10/2015 5:59 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015, Stephen Potter wrote:
>
>> I've got a bit of a strange situation.  I'm probably just missing
>> something easy, but right now I'm stuck.
> You mention:
> 	normal networking between the two ESX hosts
>
> but VLANs are complicating.  DHCP forwarders come to mind and
> can be touchy

So, somewhere in my troubleshooting, I got myself confused.  This
morning I decided to reduce as much as I could, like Russ suggested.
However, because this is a large production environment at work, I
couldn't exactly go moving things to hubs and such. Instead I made sure
that everything was on the same cluster (I initially was building the
client in a different cluster than the servers).  As soon as I did that,
the build took off without issue.

I then went back and looked at the clusters and networks.  When I looked
at the build VLAN, I found out it was only attached to the server
cluster and not to the client cluster.  It is defined at the data center
level, so Satellite/Foreman let me create it and assign it to the VM
template, but when it actually created the VM, it didn't have an actual
network to attach it to, so it just left the network blank.

When I thought I saw the traffic on one server yesterday, I must have
been seeing something else and didn't realize it.

Now, I've got the vSphere admin defining the build network on both clusters.

-spp