[colug-432] DHCP/bootp broadcast question

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Nov 12 10:53:31 EST 2015

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Stephen Potter wrote:

> On 11/10/2015 5:59 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Nov 2015, Stephen Potter wrote:
> >
> >> I've got a bit of a strange situation.  I'm probably just missing
> >> something easy, but right now I'm stuck.
> > You mention:
> > 	normal networking between the two ESX hosts
> >
> > but VLANs are complicating.  DHCP forwarders come to mind and
> > can be touchy
>
> So, somewhere in my troubleshooting, I got myself confused.  This
> morning I decided to reduce as much as I could, like Russ suggested.
> Now, I've got the vSphere admin defining the build network on both clusters.

So to recap, some problem solving tools worth knowing are:

1. desk-check, actually read, and 'trust but verify'

	talking through a problem often does this, because it
forces statement of assumptions that may not actually be true,
as in Stephen's case.  My suspicion of VLAN network
partitioning just pointed out a place to look closely

2. 'simplify, simplity'

3. binary partition