[colug-432] October COLUG meeting announcement

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Mon Oct 5 13:39:53 EDT 2015

# MEETING NOTICE

Central Ohio Linux User Group
Date: Wednesday, October 21 2015, 7 - 9 PM EDT

## Presentation

Have you ever committed code only to discover later that it does not
actually work in production the way you think it should? When is the
last time you wanted to test a new version of a dependency but worried
it would wreck your existing setup if it goes wrong? Have you ever
wanted to run `rm -rf /` on a running machine just to see what
happens?

Vagrant is a tool to quickly spin up virtual machines ready to run
your code. This gives you the freedom to test potentially hazardous
changes while still being able to easily revert to a known-good
configuration. In this session, you will learn the Vagrant workflow,
including how to give all of the developers on your team an
environment that matches production, so that you will never have to
hear the 'But it Works on My Machine' excuse again.

The first 2/3 of this talk will be a reprise of the talk of the same
name given at the 2015 Ohio LinuxFest, however we will be able to dive
into more examples and features during this talk due to the extra time
available at COLUG.

### About the speaker:
A graduate of The Ohio State University, Joe is a JVM developer that
enjoys using tools such as Hadoop, HBase, and Storm to solve complex
problems with data. Joe is also a stylophile (one who appreciates fine
writing implements) and a coffee aficionado.

The upcoming meeting is open to the general public, and all with an
interest in Linux, Free Software, Open Source Software, Windows, BSD,
Unix, virtualization, development, etc.

As always, feel free to bring with you any ailing or problematic
systems for expert diagnosis (or destruction).

There are no dues or fees.

## Location

The meeting will be held at:

   CoverMyMeds
   2 Miranova Place
   Columbus, OH 43215

   Google Map: http://bit.ly/1KTWajf

Check in at the front desk, and then take the elevator to the 11th floor.

## Parking

### Orange section in parking garage

NOTE: please RSVP to Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> so that the
correct number of parking vouchers can be secured.

Please park in the Orange section of the parking garage, which is
specifically for guest parking. Parking in any other spot runs the
risk of taking someone’s assigned parking spot. There is little risk
of doing so at 7 PM, but why risk causing any trouble? Please park in
the orange section. We will have parking vouchers so you do not have
to pay to park if you RSVP'd to Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net>.

### On-street

On-street parking is available at meters. I do not know how late they
are enforced. We are in the Car2Go service area, so Car2Go users can
park at nearby meters for free.

Thanks to CoverMyMeds for hosting us! They're hiring all sorts of
technical folks, check out their job postings and tech blog
ScriptScribe: https://www.scriptscribe.org/