[colug-432] sadly, my 2012 vintage HP laptop was offered as a sacrifice

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Oct 5 14:21:16 EDT 2015

to the Delta Airline gods.  Not intended for such, and for the
life of me I cannot see how they got to it, but, there you are

Its display has gone cracked, with a most artistic pattern
displayed

nice little unit -- virtualization capable, everything worked
under Centos 7 (save possibly the camera, which I never
tested)

My question, after a morning spend 'researching' is:
	Does anyone know of a good replacement candidate in
current production to run KVM / Linux on?

Criteria would include:
	1.  an additional 2.5 in sata drive bay, beyond the
	basic drive used for the US (I consider here that
	there are post 2.5 in form factor ssd NAND 'm-drives'
	-- 1.7 in form factor or such;  I have a "Brix" set
	up with one, and it runs fine)

	2. Intel multi-core, 64 bit processor, with the
	ability to use hardware virtualization (i.e., at least
	the VMX bit present)

	3.  at least one hardware ethernet port

Extra points for:
	a. capable of holding ram above 16G

	b. second hardware ethernet port

One assumes that HDMI or DP video outputs, included wifi
connectivity, and at least a couple USB ports are pretty
standard these days

I can certainly do without a CD / DVD drive, on the assumption
that 'booting from USB' or PXE will solve any initial install
problem

-- Russ herrold