[colug-432] Union filesystems on CentOS 7

Phil Harris philtech at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 14:44:50 EDT 2015

I'm researching union/overlay type filesystems for CentOS 7.  A union
filesystem is one that mounts multiple underlying filesystems together in a
single "union" mount, presenting one complete view.  Usually, one layer is
writable, while other layers are read-only.  These are useful for things
like booting of a read-only CD/DVD image.  My use case would be using such
a filesystem in providing media to a website, allowing developers to access
and change media while not disturbing production.

So far, it seems that there isn't any such filesystem package in the CentOS
repositories.  While CentOS 7 uses the Linux 3.10 kernel, Linux itself does
not provide native kernel support for overlay filesystems until Linux 3.18.

I know there are several package that are available outside of the official
repos.  Does anyone have experience with such packages or filesystems,
preferably in a Red Hat/CentOS environment?

Thanks,
Phil