[colug-432] Union filesystems on CentOS 7

Zach Villers zachvatwork at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 17:14:08 EDT 2015

Phil,

It sounds like you may want something like the ZFS file system used by
FreeBSD, Illumos, OpenIndiana, as well as being available as a separate rpm
from the ZFS on linux page.

Because ZFS is licensed under CDDL, I found it a headache to work with
under Fedora (I usually run whatever beta or rawhide though). Because
Fedora believes that the CDDL license conflicts with whatever GPL the linux
kernel is licensed as, it requires working with dkms each time you have a
kernel upgrade, which i personally find to be not worth the hassle.

I beleive ubuntu offers zfs in a PPA, Arch has it either in the AUR or in
their main packages, Debian may also include zfs in their packages.

While zfs may not exactly be an overlay fs like you describe, i think it
might fit your use case. Here are some slides that I thought of when you
mentioned developers working with media without interrupting production;

http://allanjude.com/talks/vBSDCon2015_-_Interesting_ZFS.pdf