[colug-432] Public Hangouts with Great Internet

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Fri Oct 16 13:43:28 EDT 2015

(Catching up on email after vacation.....)

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:
> What public places around Columbus have great Wifi?

I don't have specific places, but you can improve the wifi
that you find....

> Panera's Wifi can get swamped during rush hours, and blocks many
> things like ping 8.8.8.8, ping google, and yum commands from Centos.

I get around such blocks by using OpenVPN; setting it to use TCP
rather than UDP seems to resolve connection problems at many places.

When I'm on Android, another thing that helps is to use the "WiFi Web
Login" app to automatically get through those captured-wifi login
pages.

> Stauf's bandwidth is often insufficient for things like
> downloading ISO images and doing yum update.

Stauf's is too crowded to have good wifi bandwidth. You need smaller
places. (Hey, Cup O Joe has the same coffee.) But really it's best to
save the high-bandwidth stuff for when nobody else is using the
connection. Remember that public wifi is shared bandwidth.