[colug-432] Vagrant was: Reminder: meeting Wednesday

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Oct 19 16:35:40 EDT 2015

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, Scott Merrill wrote:

> Joe Beard will be presenting Vagrant to us.

I checked the Vagrant website for a reference to read through
in advance of the meeting, and there is an outlink to the
Amazon / O'Reilly book.  The review (first hit) qupted
below caused me to hesitate

Joe, is there a good 'getting started' / tutorial of current
syntax, that you would recommend?

-- Russ herrold

(the review)

The book is fine for what it was meant for - and, as an
introduction to Vagrant, it may even be useful.
It's short, clear and sufficient to get "up and running" - I
read most of it over a (busy) weekend and by the end of it I
had two boxes up and running with Apache Mesos (master/agent)
happily talking to each other.

My main gripe with the book is that it's now more than two
years old and it only talks about the v1 syntax - this is now
so outdated that you can't even find the reference
documentation on the website (at least, not easily): this is
not made clear enough in the book's page and it should be,
instead, IMO a big red WARN flag.

Ideally, I'd love it if the author were to update it to use
the v2 sintax of Vagrant - were that the case, this book would
easily get 5 stars.