[colug-432] Vagrant was: Reminder: meeting Wednesday

Matt Simmons standalone.sysadmin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:28:33 EDT 2015

If it helps, I have a Vagrantbox skeleton repo in github that I use to
build my boxes from. It might be helpful to you:

https://github.com/standaloneSA/vagrant-skel

--Matt

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Joseph Beard <joseph at josephbeard.net>
wrote:

> I’ll echo the sentiments of all: the book _is_ out of date from a details
> perspective, but still contains useful information about the Vagrant
> workflow. Hashicorp et al has done an excellent job with the documentation
> at https://vagrantup.com that you’ll be able to find most everything that
> you need there, all the way from basic usage to plugin development.
>
> My one complaint about their online documentation is that it is for the
> current version of Vagrant only; there is no archive of documentation for
> prior releases. That said, Vagrant has been very forwards compatible for
> some time (starting mainly with the V2 Vagrantfile syntax which the review
> mentions) and I have never encountered a need to maintain use of an older
> version.
>

> Joe
>> Joseph Beard
> joseph at josephbeard.net
>

> On Oct 19, 2015, at 7:47 PM, Rick Hornsby <richardjhornsby at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On Oct 19, 2015, at 17:38, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 04:35:40PM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
>
> I checked the Vagrant website for a reference to read through
> in advance of the meeting, and there is an outlink to the
> Amazon / O'Reilly book.  The review (first hit) qupted
> below caused me to hesitate
>
> Joe, is there a good 'getting started' / tutorial of current
> syntax, that you would recommend?
>

> The Vagrant website has some decent introductory material:
>
> https://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/getting-started/index.html
>
> The user interface commands haven't changed much, and the Vagrantfile
> config syntax should be adequately explained in the link above to get a
> complete novice up and running with minimal fuss.
>
> As with most things, Vagrant can do an awful lot and the more you try to
> make it do the more you'll need to dig into the documentation.  If
> you're just getting started, the link above should be adequate to
> achieve success.
>

> +1
>
> I taught myself Vagrant using that very Getting Started guide.  It's a
> fairly gentle introduction, and will walk you through some early successes
> before you dive into more complex tasks.  The Vagrant documentation, on the
> whole, is IMHO on the better side of good.

LITTLE GIRL: But which cookie will you eat FIRST?
COOKIE MONSTER: Me think you have misconception of cookie-eating process.