[colug-432] Monthly meeting details for October 2015

Hal Azimov robotron9000 at colug.net
Sat Oct 24 10:00:03 EDT 2015

   COLUG has a [1]mailing list for technical discussions. To get good
   answers, consider following the advice in the links below.
     * [2]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way by [3]Eric Raymond.
     * [4]Quoting Style by Richard Kettlewell.

   There is a separate [5]mailing list for jobs.

   Google calendar for COLUG events: [6]HTML or [7]Javascript

                                 MEETING NOTICE

   Central Ohio Linux User Group
   Date: Wednesday, October 21 2015, 7 - 9 PM EDT

                                  Presentation

   Have you ever committed code only to discover later that it does not
   actually work in production the way you think it should? When is the
   last time you wanted to test a new version of a dependency but worried
   it would wreck your existing setup if it goes wrong? Have you ever
   wanted to run `rm -rf /` on a running machine just to see what happens?

   Vagrant is a tool to quickly spin up virtual machines ready to run your
   code. This gives you the freedom to test potentially hazardous changes
   while still being able to easily revert to a known-good configuration.
   In this session, you will learn the Vagrant workflow, including how to
   give all of the developers on your team an environment that matches
   production, so that you will never have to hear the 'But it Works on My
   Machine' excuse again.

   The first 2/3 of this talk will be a reprise of the talk of the same
   name given at the 2015 Ohio LinuxFest, however we will be able to dive
   into more examples and features during this talk due to the extra time
   available at COLUG.

                               About the speaker

   A graduate of The Ohio State University, Joe (Beard?) is a JVM
   developer that enjoys using tools such as Hadoop, HBase, and Storm to
   solve complex problems with data. Joe is also a stylophile (one who
   appreciates fine writing implements) and a coffee aficionado.

   The upcoming meeting is open to the general public, and all with an
   interest in Linux, Free Software, Open Source Software, Windows, BSD,
   Unix, OS X, SELinux, virtualization, development, Raspberry Pi,
   firewalls, WiFi, security, etc.

   As always, feel free to bring with you any ailing or problematic
   systems for expert diagnosis (or destruction).

   There are no dues or fees.

                                    Location

   The meeting will be held at:
   CoverMyMeds
       2 Miranova Place
       Columbus, OH 43215
       [8]Google Map
       Parking

    Orange section in parking garage
       NOTE: please RSVP to Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> so that
       the correct number of parking vouchers can be secured.
       Please park in the Orange section of the parking garage, which is
       specifically for guest parking. Parking in any other spot runs the
       risk of taking someone's assigned parking spot. There is little
       risk of doing so at 7 PM, but why risk causing any trouble? Please
       park in the orange section. We will have parking vouchers so you do
       not have to pay to park if you RSVP'd to Scott Merrill <skippy at
       skippy.net>.
    On-street On-street parking is available at meters. I do not know how
       late they are enforced. We are in the Car2Go service area, so
       Car2Go users can park at nearby meters for free.

   Check in at the front desk, and then take the elevator to the 11th
   floor.

   Thanks to CoverMyMeds for hosting us! They're hiring all sorts of
   technical folks, check out their job postings and tech blog
   [9]ScriptScribe.