[colug-432] OT: in pursuit of more secure POS transactions

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 14:32:29 EDT 2015

On 09/11/2015 01:02 PM, Rick Hornsby wrote:
> Being a more tech-savvy crowd, I’m curious about COLUG folks’ experience with mobile device payments - ApplePay or the Android equivalent.  I’m an iPhone person myself.  Despite the multitude of stories about how this-or-that is now accepting mobile payments, so far, I’ve only found a single vendor that accepts ApplePay (Subway - the sandwich shop).
>
> Along similar lines, my CC company sent me a new card a few months ago with the “chip”.  Again though - only one place (Target) accepts the chip. Everyone else, including places with chip readers, still require me to swipe the card.  They usually say something like “Oh that doesn’t work”.
>
> Has anyone else encountered these kinds of limitations?  (or not encountered them) Any ideas why?  Perhaps I just stopped trying ApplePay after the first few weeks of having the phone and no one accepting it, and haven’t noticed?
>
> -rick
I just got a card with the chip. My understanding is that the credit
card company takes the responsibility if the card # is hacked, stolen,
etc if the merchants device reads the chip. If the device does not read
the chip, but only reads the swipe, the merchant is responsible for any
loss. I have been seeing TV adds that claim your chip card can be read
by criminals with a device in your proximity. They are advertising
sleeves that your card slides into to prevent your card from being read.
Can your card be read by others while it is on your person? Who takes
the loss? How much of your identity can be lost from that happening? Are
these anti theft devices really needed? Really inconvenient to use!

Tom

--
Sent by LinuxMint