[colug-432] OT: in pursuit of more secure POS transactions

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Sep 14 13:28:21 EDT 2015

By coincidence, I started a couple months ago with a company that sells
a solution for POS and similar exposures. They have some fascinating
tech, have contributed to some RFCs, acquired patents, and gotten in on
the AES spec. Very sexy.

On 09/11/2015 02:32 PM, tom wrote:
> I have been seeing TV adds that claim your chip card can be read
> by criminals with a device in your proximity. They are advertising
> sleeves that your card slides into to prevent your card from being read.

What Rick said.
What's at risk is RFID card info. It's not a problem for the "EMV" chip
cards.
But the public will think the two are the same for a long time to come.
[sigh]

> Can your card be read by others while it is on your person? Who takes
> the loss? How much of your identity can be lost from that happening? Are
> these anti theft devices really needed? Really inconvenient to use!

Interestingly, Mythbusters proposed busting (or more likely confirming)
the RFID problem, but were shot down. Representatives from the industry
scared off Discovery Channel producers and the episode was canceled.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvCxlDPzuoI

(One of several copies of the original. Search YouTube for "Mythbusters"
and "RFID".)

-- R; <><