[colug-432] tab completion and SCP

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Mon Aug 22 00:00:26 EDT 2016

I figured this out a while back when I was travelling and my shell would
appear to hang.  I rate limit ssh connections from the public Internet,
so that was what was causing it to hang (each tab completion requires a
new ssh connection).

Regards,

-Roberto

On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 05:00:30PM -0400, Rick Troth wrote:
>    gotcha!
>
>    Caught it in the act.
>
>    Several weeks ago I thought I noticed this. Couldn't confirm it at the
>    time, but just now saw it again and ... confirmed via /var/log/messages on
>    the remote system.
>
>    I suppose most of us have grown accustomed to tab completion, and tab
>    completion has gotten so much "smarter" in recent years. Here's a nifty
>    new one (for me): SCP does remote tab completion. (Or maybe some of you
>    knew already.) It's extremely cool. It's also a little disconcerting. In
>    this case, the remote system has a file /tmp/blahblah, so I do ...
>
>      scp -p remote:/tmp/bla<tab> .
>
>     ... and the shell completes the remote filename just as if it was local.
>    That's right, boys and girls, it spawns a remote shell to list the files
>    there on the other system and then report back to your local shell.
>    Spiffy.
>
>    Thought y'all might like to know. Anyone else seen it?
>
>    -- R; <><

Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
http://www.connexer.com