[colug-432] unix monitoring

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu Feb 25 08:49:57 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 05:14:12PM -0600, Rick Hornsby wrote:
> So we're pondering a better solution for our UNIX environment.  BMC Patrol is out - it's got big stompy feet and an even larger price tag.  We're looking at free/OSS options to cover ~1000 unix hosts, mostly RHEL and SUSE but some Solaris and AIX.

Monitoring always seems to suck.  The competing goals of functionality
and ease-of-use seem to prevent any one tool from being great.

> What are you guys running?  It feels like there must be more options out there that we're not aware of.

We use Shinken: http://shinken-monitoring.org/  It's basically Nagios
written in Python.  It is compatible with existing Nagios plugins.

The UI is a little weird, but overall we've been relatively pleased with
it.  We've done a lot to bake monitors into our Puppet configuration so
that new systems get all the right things automatically.

Cheers,
Scott