[colug-432] unix monitoring

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 10:19:41 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
> We use Shinken: http://shinken-monitoring.org/  It's basically Nagios
> written in Python.  It is compatible with existing Nagios plugins.
>
> The UI is a little weird, but overall we've been relatively pleased with
> it.  We've done a lot to bake monitors into our Puppet configuration so
> that new systems get all the right things automatically.

I've used Nagios a lot in the past, and, yeah, it's "old" and you
can't configure it from a GUI (which earns low marks from some
people), but you can script up configs with (and without) Puppet to
make that far less painful.  I wouldn't want to manage more than about
3 nodes/services without some form of automation.

Where I'm at now, we rolled out Shinken and configure it through
Puppet and hosts/services to be monitored subscribe themselves via
exported resources and the standard Shinken Puppet modules.

-ethan