[colug-432] Why my list mail is often tossed or winds up in spam folders...

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Jan 12 10:15:28 EST 2016

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016, Rob Stampfli wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 08:39:49AM -0500, Scott Merrill wrote:
> > GMail thinks your message is spam.
> >
> > "Why is this message in Spam? It has a from address in cboh.org but
> > has failed cboh.org's required tests for authentication."

> Yup.  It's my DMARC specification:  I found a surprising number of
> spammers were using my domain to proliferate their spam, trying to
> make it appear as if it was legitimate email coming from cboh.org.

> in a way that it no longer passes the DMARC check.  This is a well-
> known problem which has had to be addressed by all mail exploders
> including the big boys like YahooGroups.  It is one of the reasons
> I stopped managing my own email lists.

I thought that there was a patch to Mailman which addressed
this -- perhaps this is later than the server handling the
COLUG mailing lists

> bumping the email up to the next level of acceptance, which is to
> accept it but treat it as probable spam.  (I actually got feedback
> from gmail indicating that that is exactly what they did in this
> case.)

Gmail also provides for 'whitelisting' in a very minimal set
of procmail like rules ... I wonder if a:
	List-ID:*colug.net
match is a possibility

>From the sending list side, I sort of doubt that RHEL / CentOS
7 has a late enough mailman version but I will check

-- Russ herrold