[colug-432] Problem for January Meeting

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jan 28 16:23:36 EST 2016

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 09:12:19 -0500, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
>
> > As always, feel free to bring with you any ailing or problematic systems
> > for expert diagnosis (or destruction).
>
> I hope to get some help explaining why dd is having trouble
> writing to an SDHC module. I hope to have the SDHC module
> and USB adapter at tonight's meeting.
>
> There was initial apparent success at amazing speed,
> but reads revealed that it was not actually writing all the zeros.
>  For example:
>
>     [root at main flash]# date;time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M seek=2272 of=/dev/sdb;date
>     Sun Dec 20 14:26:17 EST 2015
>     dd: error writing ‘/dev/sdb’: No space left on device
>     12922+0 records in
>     12921+0 records out
>     13549174784 bytes (14 GB) copied, 110.059 s, 123 MB/s

that 'dd' error line seems worth pursuing, to find exactly
where the failure to write lies

I know I have read reports of mis-marked media, not actually
having the indicated size.  As your example shows, 'dd' has a
'seek' option, and it would therefore be possible to quickly
do 'targeted' writes of known patterns at zero, the final, and
various other locations on a piece of RW media, and then to
read the results back.  I assume one may automate this
process, but do not immediately know how to retrieve assumedly
hard-coded asserted media size information (hard-coded outside
of a mutable partition table)

It might also make sense to write 'sentinel' patterns at
powers of two 'distances' into the media, and so be able to
watch for when a read-back failure starts, and determine true
size by such a 'binary search'

I'd be tempted to confirm a piece of media was not
mis-represented early in the diagnosis process

-- Russ herrold