[colug-432] systemd dislike

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:38:16 EST 2016

> On Mar 7, 2016, at 00:16, Jacob Ulrich <contact at peachchannel.lol> wrote:
>
> Does anybody else dislike systemd with a passion? I ask just because I
> see a lot of RHEL related talk on this list. Sorry if this is
> irrelevant. I mostly use GNU/Linux as a hobby.

I'm having a hard time getting used to it.  SysV style init scripts were simple and effective.  I know, systemd is more powerful, and the unit files are supposed to be easier to deal with.

But instead of

chkconfig --list ntpd

Now it's

systemctl status ntpd - which requires reading through a bunch of output to figure out if your ntpd is set to start on boot or not.  Also, no more run levels, just a confusing pile of declared dependencies and "targets".  I must sound really old when I ask what was wrong with my run levels 0 - 6?

If you use the service command, the syntax is the opposite: service ntpd status.  I don't know why systemd does it - what seems like - backwards.

Often when a service does not start properly, I don't get any indication.  Have to systemctl status, and then "journalctl -xn" (no idea what journalctl has to do with it) to figure out what went wrong.

It also doesn't help that we have both 'systemctl' and 'sysctl' - each of which do completely different things.

To be fair to systemd, I haven't spent much time digging into these issues, or why things are they way they are.  I've just been dealing with it and grumbling.