[colug-432] Systemd tutorial

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Mon Mar 7 17:13:07 EST 2016

Colug,

Another thread discussed SystemD dislikes,

I think this question is best in a new thread so ... here it is.

What does a semi casual linux user need to know about SystemD and where can
I find that information?

I rarely need to build or maintain systems, but I do have to appear
knowledgable when I am using a system. I am an instructor, hadoop,
openstack, mysql,  and if I look like a dimwit, it erodes my authority.

I often do need to be able to determine if a process is running, perhaps
add a service at a particular run level, and stop a service.

So am I to understand that /etc/init.d/service stop, start, status are
going away?

I can google and get up to speed, but if anyone has been through this
education process and can share a link that they found helpful and
complete, then please do.

As always thanks Colug. I can not believe it has been so many years.. wow.

--
Tom