[colug-432] systemd dislike

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Mar 7 17:39:35 EST 2016

On 03/07/2016 01:05 PM, Jim Wildman wrote:
> While I agree with your basic philosophy and approach, at this point,
> it is a bit of tilting at windmills.  All the major distros have adopted
> systemd.  If you are getting paid to work on Linux, you're most likely
> going to be using systemd for at least the next 5 years.  If you're
> purely a hobbyist, then there are distros that are working around it,
> but you are going to be in a corner.

I was probably not clear enough about this:
It's *not* going away. I personally have no interest in tilting at
windmills.
But I very much sympathize with Jacob's comments. And he's not alone.

By analogy, since it's a POTUS election cycle, there are a number of
things I got to enjoy (or had to put up with) for the past 4 or 8 years
and other things which I hope to enjoy (or will have to tolerate) for
the next 4 or 8 years. We can't change things knee jerk right away, but
we should consciously support planks we believe in.

Yes, hobbyists are scooted into a nice corner where they can't bother
the paid-for Linux work. (Which I also enjoy. Not complaining about
actual the business of paying *business*.) But the Linux community has
been criticized for forgetting its hobbyist roots before, and will again.

Maybe RHT didn't exhibit much hue and cry because Lennart is a RHT
employee?
(Not trying to pick on RHT, but is there a hidden Big Brother hand, some
kind of political correctness?)

> It's kind of like side air bags on cars.  I hate the lack of visibility
> they cause.  But complaining is not really going to change anything...

Which was my objective:
Let's verbalize what's good about SysV INIT rather than whine about
what's bad in LPSD.
As an example, increased visibility enhances safety. So where side
airbags limit visibility that's actually counter to their basic purpose.
That's a legitimate and worthy discussion point when you're car shopping.

> For an interesting take on it, see this review as well...which is a bit
> of RHT getting hoisted on it's on petard.
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/676831/

Ouch. Glad I'm not in Dan Walsh's position.

-- R; <><