[colug-432] Here's What Happens When an 18 Year Old Buys a Mainframe

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Mar 28 12:40:35 EDT 2016

I've enjoyed following this story for the past few weeks and thought
y'all might like this particular video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X4VP8CGtk

It was recorded at the SHARE conference (big mainframe event) in San
Antonio at the start of this month.

You can run Linux on a mainframe w/o any of the traditional IBM
operating systems. (The point being: it's just a computer.) That would
give you KVM virtualization, if you like. You can alternatively get
z/VM, run Linux on that, for substantially more scalable virtualization.
(And I think Connor is getting a copy of z/VM at no charge. Bout time
Big Blue!)

I like mainframe hardware for the volume (scalability) and reliability
(pathological redundancy). Connor picked up his box because he collects
vintage and archaic machines. (He also bought a card punch, which can't
be used with his "z890" w/o a card reader peripheral.) Either way, it's
been an interesting read.

If anyone wants to pay his travel (and put him up) then we might be able
to snag him for a joint COLUG and OSC talk.

-- R; <><