[colug-432] gcc still suffering from the "Cathedral Era" Re: Learn How To Scratch Your Own Itch

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Fri May 13 11:50:16 EDT 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto at connexer.com>
wrote:

> That (about gcc) was true about 20 years ago.

Yes, the timeframe of CatB (and hence the original reference here to GNU
development being of the cathedral variety).

It was always infuriating that "the gcc Elect" would toss in/out features
without getting input on who was using what and why.  At the time (20-some
years ago), they arbitrarily (at least, that's how it appeared to those of
us affected) changed the behavior of some command-line arguments that
conflicted (dramatically) with one of the primary components of most of
Bell Labs' SDK (nmake). The Elect eventually grudgingly changed it back,
but not without a bit of passive-aggressiveness thrown in: those of us
working with some of the legacy tool chains are still suffering the
indignity of having a perpetual "cc1plus: note: obsolete option -I- used,
please use -iquote instead" message every time gcc/g++ is invoked from
nmake (which is especially galling because there is a subtle behavioral
difference between -I- and -iquote that nmake depends on).

Jeff