[colug-432] hackintosh build tips/advice?

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 17:49:11 EST 2016

Obviously, a question about hackintosh isn't strictly a Linux query per-se
- but I put it to this group of smart and capable folks nonetheless. I'm a
huge fan of Linux as a server OS, but my laptops/desktops are all OSX/macOS
because I think macOS strikes a better balance between UI/UX and the *NIX
underpinnings I want - as well as a much more massive library of desktop
software available.

I have a 2010 MacPro (the tower, not the trashcan), and it's old going on
ancient. Over time, I've upgraded the video card, memory, OS drive to SSD -
and while it has been a sturdy, reliable, and overall wonderful system,
it's time to look at a replacement. In the intervening years, Apple seems
to have lost even the illusion of love for their professional and desktop
customers. Specifically, the most recent MacPro last had a hardware update
when the trashcan model was first released - in 2013. At that time, the
hardware was already around a year old. Today, it still costs what it did
when the 2013 was first released: $3000-$4000 just for a base model.

As I look for solutions, one of my non-negoitables is that I'm not going to
back to Windows. Linux desktop is also not an option, if nothing else
because I run professional photography software like Lightroom and
Photoshop. So, I'm looking at building a hackintosh. I don't want to,
knowing that the rock solid stability I've come to enjoy out of my Apple
hardware (yes, I know, running the Apple OS) will be out the window (no pun
intended). I'm looking to build something roughly comparable (in today's
generation of hardware) to a mid-to-high end range MacPro.

I've briefly looked at some guides and watched a few YT videos on the topic
of hackintoshes. Anyone here have first-hand experience they'd be willing
to share? Buying parts from newegg/tigerdirect/amazon/microcenter and
building my own box is not an issue. In a way as I've been thinking about
this project, I've looked forward to doing that again. It's been a while.
But specifically to the subject of a hackintosh, any tips/tricks/pitfalls
to watch out for? Anyone write up any of their own blog posts or guides on
the subject?

thanks!