[colug-432] hackintosh build tips/advice?

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Tue Nov 15 12:27:39 EST 2016

On 11/13/2016 05:49 PM, Rick Hornsby wrote:
> Obviously, a question about hackintosh isn't strictly a Linux query
> per-se - but I put it to this group of smart and capable folks
> nonetheless. I'm a huge fan of Linux as a server OS, but my
> laptops/desktops are all OSX/macOS because I think macOS strikes a
> better balance between UI/UX and the *NIX underpinnings I want - as
> well as a much more massive library of desktop software available.

I've been _thinking seriously about OS X_ as the replacement for my
wife's OpenSUSE laptop.

Personally, I need (for some values of "need") a Darwin system as a
build and test platform. We have a shiny new liquid cooled Core i7
specifically intended for KVM hosting. My first attempts at installing
Darwin x86 801 failed. I'm keen to hear how things to with your
Hackintosh efforts.

I do not recommend virtualization for heavy media service. My primary
company Windoze system is 7 Pro on KVM (on the new host). It's fine
until some [expletive deleted] web page throws animation at me. I avoid
Firefox, doing that on a laptop instead.

And, yeah, _OS X is Unix under the covers_. (Used to have a geniune NeXT
as primary desktop when I worked in academia. Nice.)

> I have a 2010 MacPro (the tower, not the trashcan), and it's old going
> on ancient. Over time, I've upgraded the video card, memory, OS drive
> to SSD - and while it has been a sturdy, reliable, and overall
> wonderful system, it's time to look at a replacement. In the
> intervening years, Apple seems to have lost even the illusion of love
> for their professional and desktop customers. Specifically, the most
> recent MacPro last had a hardware update when the trashcan model was
> first released - in 2013. At that time, the hardware was already
> around a year old. Today, it still costs what it did when the 2013 was
> first released: $3000-$4000 just for a base model.

ouch!

My friend and sometime mentor Glenn (y'all don't know him, unless you
happened to hear him speak at NFJS or other conferences) said he's
actually fond of current Apple desktop models. I'll ask him to expand on
that. (I was asking him about laptops. See above.)

Have you thought about using a laptop with external monitor, keyboard,
mouse?

Does OS X support any kind of _remote access_? (I've used VNC for years.
I find MS RDP to be better in that it carries audio and allows screen
resizing. What does OS X do?) Physical display and input in one place
talking to a beefy box in the basement might be very functional.

> As I look for solutions, one of my non-negoitables is that I'm not
> going to back to Windows. Linux desktop is also not an option, if
> nothing else because I run professional photography software like
> Lightroom and Photoshop. So, I'm looking at building a hackintosh. I
> don't want to, knowing that the rock solid stability I've come to
> enjoy out of my Apple hardware (yes, I know, running the Apple OS)
> will be out the window (no pun intended). I'm looking to build
> something roughly comparable (in today's generation of hardware) to a
> mid-to-high end range MacPro.

Similar story here: for most of my work, Linux is fine (as would be *BSD
or perhaps even Solaris). But the demands of media service are out of
control. (Conspiracy theorists might suggest that Disney is trying to
kill Linux and Unix for desktop/laptop use.) I constantly have to "allow
now" Flash player, and shudder occasionally.

But Apple "just works" in the consumer context.

> I've briefly looked at some guides and watched a few YT videos on the
> topic of hackintoshes. Anyone here have first-hand experience they'd
> be willing to share? Buying parts from
> newegg/tigerdirect/amazon/microcenter and building my own box is not
> an issue. In a way as I've been thinking about this project, I've
> looked forward to doing that again. It's been a while. But
> specifically to the subject of a hackintosh, any tips/tricks/pitfalls
> to watch out for? Anyone write up any of their own blog posts or
> guides on the subject?

Wish I could offer suggestions for hardware. Maybe just cheer from the
sidelines while you run that race.

If you use Homebrew much, I'd like to chat off-list. (Or on-list if
others are interested.) Am trying to bone-up a similar tool from an
independent linage. Lots to be learned from Homebrew and OS X.

-- R; <><