[colug-432] book recommendation

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Tue Oct 18 19:24:34 EDT 2016

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:00:48 PM EDT Rick Hornsby wrote:
> - Makefile seems a bit of an advanced topic considering the others listed.
> I rarely, even when I was compiling almost everything, needed to mess
> around inside a Makefile. I think for students who are learning the
> basics, a Makefile is going to confuse the snot out of them.

If we're talking about prospective programmers:
Those who don't understand Make are doomed to reinvent it poorly, these days
usually in the form of Yet Another JavaScript Build System that doesn't do
dependencies properly.

> - I think maybe git is also a bit advanced, but I can see the most basic
> operations being useful to know. Otherwise it's a topic I might save for a
> programming class.

Anymore, git is essential for prospective programmers to understand....

Both of these are infrastructure skills, essential to programming, but
they're not programming skills per se, so I don't think they belong in a
programming course.