[colug-432] book recommendation

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Tue Oct 18 21:45:06 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 05:32:42PM -0400, davelist at mac.com wrote:

> Sobell's book that Roberto mentioned ("A Practical Guide to Linux
> Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming") is probably the closest
> I've seen to what I'm looking for. And yes, the Pro Git book is what I
> recommend students use to learn git (and why I didn't care if the Unix
> book I use for the course includes any git coverage).

I should have mentioned in my initial email that I taught a section of
CEG 2350 (Operating Systems Concepts; a required 3-credit version of the
course you describe along) at Wright State with some extras (Python
scripting for Linux and PowerShell for Windows).  The Sobell book was
listed as an optional text for the course, though I strongly recommended
to my students that weren't already familiar with Linux to get and go
through the book.

In terms of covering a wide variety of topics at a novice level, I think
it does a good job.

Regards,

-Roberto

--